Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Three Choices for Writers

 



Three choices in our poster today. As writers, we have the opportunity to select any one of them. It all depends on whether you are the pessimist, the optimist, or the realist. Or maybe you waver between the three.

In a perfect world, we'd all choose the realist. At least, I'd feel very much in charge. We all know, however, that we don't live in a perfect world. Let's look at these three possibilities and how we might handle each when writing a 1000 word short story.

If I'm the pessimist, I would delay starting to write the story. I'd complain that this wasn't the right day. I might tell myself my mood would be better tomorrow. Or I'd convince myself the story idea isn't fully formed yet. So, I'll wait until I feel everything is just right. The question is--will the time ever be right? Or will this writer keep putting off writing the story?

If I'm the optimist, I will get ready to write, but maybe everything is not exactly the way I'd planned. So, I'll sit here and hope a brilliant idea will come to me so I can start writing this story that has been haunting me for weeks. Eventually, this writer will get around to writing the story but not without delay.

If I'm the realist, I set things up so that I can sit down today and write that story I've been thinking about for a long time. If I run into problems, I'll work them out. Things can be changed. I know that from past experience. I'll get that story written right away.

You have a choice. Sit around and wait, hope things work out for this story, or make the changes needed so the story idea will come to fruition. 

Once again, it's up to you to make the choice that will work best, the one that works in your favor. The first two are easy. You tell yourself to sit and wait and see what happens. The third one will be more of  a challenge, and it will also help you create a good story. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...