Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Blog Notes and a Writing Exercise



I don't know about you, but for me, June passed in a flash. There were so many things I hoped to get accomplished this month, but my list is nowhere near complete. Ah well, there is always July. 

One of the big matters on my list was to get my subscriber list transferred over to a new email service since Google is terminating the one that goes with my blogspot.com service now. Why they have chosen to do this, I don't know. I do know that they have given a major headache to many a blogger. 

Most bloggers are not technology people, not unless they're writing about technology. But cooks, artists, moms, daycare providers, and writers are usually not well versed in what it takes to switch over to a new service, and that's after you figure out how to export your subscriber list. The second part for me is done. The first one is half-done.

I am planning to use Mailerlite as my new email service. I filled out pages of questions a few days ago, but it still was not enough. I'm working on getting the final pieces to the puzzle. If you do not get an email with my post tomorrow or Friday, it is because all is not completed yet. I may need to call (scream) for help from an IT person. 

Sadly, those IT people do not come running at your first call (scream) so I can't give you an "It's all done now." date. Writer Granny's World will be back in some form sooner or later. Sooner, I hope.

Meanwhile, how about a writing exercise today? Descriptive prose is something we all would like to master, whether we're writing fiction or a personal essay. We certainly need descriptive writing in poetry, as well. 

Exercise:  Select any word from the list below. (hopefully, you'll do several). Write a paragraph that describes the word. Don't overload on adjectives. Work on showing rather than telling whenever possible. The more you do this type of exercise, the more natural this kind of writing will be when you are writing on your own. 
  1. firecrackers
  2. trash can
  3. football player
  4. ballet dancer
  5. old house
  6. roses
  7. lemonade
  8. monkey
  9. five-year-old
  10. flag
  11. tractor
  12. umbrella
  13. snow storm
  14. flood
  15. pizza
  16. passenger train








 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...