I have tried in vain to find the author of the poem above. If anyone knows who wrote it, please do let me know so that I can give credit where it is due.
Meanwhile, as an exercise today, read the poem a few times, even aloud. Then turn it into prose rather than poetry. Tell us more about the person who is savoring both tea and book. Use descriptive phrases, add sensory details and give us a story.
- where is she?
- how old is she?
- what time of day is it?
- is she a contemporary or historic person?
- what color is her hair? her eyes?
- what aroma does the tea have?
- what is her name?
- what book is she reading?
- what is the lighting like?
- what sounds are there?
- does someone else enter the room?
- is it a sunny day or storming outside?
As you contemplate each question in the list, you should be getting a mental picture of the person in the poem. In the poem, We see her in the poem but let us know her better as you write your story.
If anyone is willing to share what they wrote, put it in the comments section.