Thursday, February 13, 2020

Write About Your Family and Your Roots



The quote on today's poster is by Alex Haley, the man who wrote the novel that became a mini-series for tv called Roots. The eight-part show broke records for the number of viewers, but it had an even longer-lasting effect. The story of Kunta Kinte, a black slave, inspired millions to start tracing their own roots. Genealogy became a hobby for untold numbers. 

With that, another thing evolved. Telling and writing family stories. Of course, it had been done by many previously, but usually, the stories were told rather than written. When families gathered at a holiday meal or a Sunday dinner, someone told a story that triggered more stories. Children learned about family history. My parents were great storytellers. It was at the dinner table that I learned a great deal of my own family history. I am grateful that Mom and Dad taught us about our ancestors, but I wish they had also written the stories so that they could be read for generations to come.

Recently, I mentioned something in a Facebook post about my grandmother owning a small neighborhood bakery in the 1930s and early'40s. I got a reply from a nephew saying that he didn't know that. Had my brother never mentioned it? Apparently not. I told my nephew that I'd send him some family history, which I did. I asked him to share it with his three school-age children. 

Someone in every family needs to take responsibility to write the history and the stories of the family. In my family, it has fallen to me to take on this job. I found it interesting, fulfilling, and fun to write my family stories. Often, I am transported to the past years, or I feel like I am having a visit with whatever relative is featured in the story. 

There are many genealogy sites where you can find many historical facts about the people in your family. I have learned a great deal about my family at the Mormon website, which gives information for free. Check it here. I found dates, places of birth, death, etc, but there were no family stories. Still, it is a good place to start finding some of your family histories.

Just yesterday, I sent a story to an editor of a website who had requested that I submit a story for his site. I read over Driving With Dad to make sure it needed no small edits. I was transported back to the days when my dad and I drove somewhere together, just the two of us, and Dad lectured me on so many values of life. Hated it then, am eternally grateful now for his wise words. As I read the words I'd written, I could feel my Dad next to me. It was a small thing, but when my children and grandchildren read it, they had an idea of the kind of man my dad was. 

As Haley wrote ...the family is the link to our past and the bridge to our future. Note the word 'our' in both parts of that sentence. It makes it very personal, doesn't it? He could have said:  ...the family is the link to the past and the bridge to the future. It's not nearly as meaningful.

Your family history is a part of who you are. The stories about your parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins and back further generations are all a real part of you, the individual. I cannot stress enough the importance of writing your family stories. I've done it many times before and will continue to do so. It's why I have given programs to different groups about writing family stories. 

Many of my family stories ended up being published. Not everyone is going to submit their work for publication, but it's certainly a possibility. You can assemble your stories in a 3 ring loose-leaf binder so that they are all in one place and more can be added very easily. 

Use the facts, but also add some description of the people, the place, the time period, feelings of the people and more to make the story more interesting. Even if all you do is list the facts, it's still worth something for future generations. By doing more, you'll make the story more interesting. 

You can read a short story I wrote for the Our Echo website about finding my Irish roots here.






























No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...