Friday, February 14, 2020

Musing ABout Writing and More on Valentine's Day



Valentine's Day is not just for madly in love couples, although they do seem to be the prime subject on this day in mid-February. It's also a day to show your love to others like your children, close friends, and more. 

What better way to let people know you care than to send a card, a small gift, or write a story just for them. Write about the time you met or the time that you realized how special the person was. Write the memories you both hold in your heart. Add it to that box of chocolates or the flowers you give them or slip it into the Valentine card you send. The flowers will wilt, and the chocolates will get eaten, but what you write will be a forever gift. 

I loved Valentine's Day as a child, and it's still one of my favorite days of the year. Yesterday we received a Valentine Heart Sugar Cookie with a thank you note attached to it from the Hospice House in our community. When the Good Shepherd Hospice House was only a dream, my husband served on their board and helped with the planning and overseeing the building project. That was a good many years ago, but they still thank us with that special cookie every Valentine's Day. It's a small gesture but greatly appreciated, and what better day of the year to deliver it? 

In grade school, we always had a party the afternoon of February 14th, or whatever Friday was closest if it fell on a weekend. Our classroom bulletin board and windows displayed hearts and cupids with bow and arrow all month, often sharing space with silhouettes and/or photos of George Washington and Abraham Lincoln as we celebrated their birthdays individually, not having President's Day then. The party offered a time to share valentines with our classmates, eat heart-shaped cookies, drink red punch and play games. And miss some schoolwork! 

I've posted the only Valentine's story I ever wrote many times. If you haven't read it, you can peruse Love In A Box here.  Yesterday, fellow writer and friend featured one of my posts on her blog. It's titled Listen To Your Heart and is about how I came to submit the Love In A Box story to Chicken Soup even though I was a newbie writer and faced uncertainty and fears. If you've ever felt that way before submitting, you might want to read the post.

If you have an idea for a Valentine's story, write it now and send it in a few months to a magazine or website. Writing at the time of the holiday is the best time to do so. You're filled with inspiration then, maybe not so much if you write a Valentine's story in June. 

My husband has never forgotten to give me a Valentine's card and/or gift on this special day over the many years we've been married. I do the same for him. But, I've never written a memory or story for him on this day. Maybe that should be my afternoon project today. 

On this Valentine's Day, let me close by saying I care about all my readers every day. I would send you each a Valentine in the mail if I could. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...