Tuesday, April 27, 2021

The 'Withouts' in Writing

 


"WRITE WITHOUT FEAR. EDIT WITHOUT MERCY." Our quote for today is short but mighty. Let's look at each part as it stands on its own.

WRITE WITHOUT FEAR. When inspiration hits, and you're ready to write your first draft, do so with no fear whatsoever. Your idea needs to be put into words. Those words are the ones you will read over and over as you seek to polish your story, essay, article or poem. Don't worry about what you've written. It's merely a beginning. It's your platform that you will build on with the next part of the quote.

A house needs a good foundation. That draft you write with no fear is your story foundation. Does it need strength? Yes, if you want the rest of what you build to stand strong. Does it need to be perfect? No. We all know that first draft is nothing more than a beginning. Not perfect, but your idea should have been thought out to the point where you see some merit in your draft. 

You'll write without fear because you know it is not the end product. You'll know that you can edit as many times as you like to make your draft become publication worthy.

EDIT WITHOUT MERCY. The quote uses a period after each admonition. I think I might change this second one to an exclamation mark because it should be emphasized. No mercy when you slash, cut, and slice your original draft. We all know how hard it is to cut precious words we've written, but it is often necessary if you want a strong final piece.

Recently, I subbed a new travel essay to my online writing group. I asked them to let me know what might might be added and what should be deleted. Several people critiqued my submission, and they did exactly as I'd asked. There were a few surprises in store for me. Some of what I deemed important, others did not. Some of what I thought I covered thoroughly needed a bit of clarity. As the person who lived the experience, my mind's eye saw it clearly, but in a few spots, I didn't make it completely clear to the reader. (and this, dear writers, is why you need other eyes on what you write.) Now, I know exactly what to work on when I edit and revise my early draft.

When you edit, remove the personal thoughts. Try to be objective, or at least, as objective as possible. Read your work as if it had been written by Willa Writer down the street. What would you tell Willa to cut or add? Where would you suggest she show rather than tell? Remove as much of the personal you as possible. 

Read your edited copy aloud. You'll catch a few more spots that need further editing. I cannot emphasize enough how much this 'read aloud' exercise helps a writer find trouble areas. 

Take the poster's advice and 'write without fear' and 'edit without mercy.' You'll be doing yourself a favor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...