Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Growing As A Writer



Hard for me to pass up this pretty purple poster. For those not aware, I am a big Kansas State University football and basketball fan. Purple is their color. Purple has often been referred to as the royal color, as much of royalty of long ago wore it. It's vibrant and pleasing, too.

Besides the color attracting me, the quote drew my attention. I read it several times, not because I didn't believe it or understand but because it makes a lot of sense. A catalyst is someone or something that causes a change. 

It sounds reasonable then that everything that happens as we move through our life can bring us change and growth. There's no question about the change part, but perhaps the growth part is not always a sure thing. 

We who move down a writing path don't always grow. Our feet get stuck in the mud occasionally, and we need to work hard on our writing projects and our learning skills before we can pull out of the mud and journey onward. 

We need to develop the attitude that I can always do better. We shouldn't be complacent and willing to accept mediocrity in our writing world. A cliche but one with good advice is Reach for the stars! 

How do we grow as a writer? Not by leaps and bounds, although that would be nice. Instead, our growth in the writing world takes place a little at a time, and much of what happens in our lives affect that growth. If there is a sudden serious illness in your family, your writing moves to the back burner. If you receive an award at a writing conference, your growth is greater than it was the day before. 

Right now, as we go through this unprecedented pandemic, our growth as writers can take two paths. For some, it acts as a block. I've read comment upon comment from writers saying that they want to write but just cannot do it. Other writers are affected in the opposite way. They're inspired to use what might be extra time for them to write and write and write. 

If you're in the group that finds it hard to write while going through this stay at home phase, don't worry about it. When our lives return to semi-normal, I believe you'll be able to write and grow as a writer again. When you're ready, you'll write again. 

I hope that everything that happens will be that catalyst for change and growth, but if the growth goes on hold for a while, it's alright. Yes, we would like to always reach for the stars, but sometimes, there is a little delay. Once you get past the muddy part of your writing path, you'll do some growing.




2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your inspirational message. I remember my sophomore year in high school. I was growing out of my pants. I thought mom had left them in the dryer too long. Turns out I grew a couple of three inches that school year. Same with writing. You may not see any growth for a bit, then you have a sudden growth spurt.

    ReplyDelete

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...