Friday, April 20, 2018

Writers Need Help To Polish The Apple

Image result for free quote and image from writers


For those unaware, a beta reader is a non-professional who reads a novel before publication to give  the author feedback on various aspects of the book--plot, appeal, places where it drags, spelling and other mechanical errors. A novelist might choose several beta readers, send the manuscript, then sit back waiting for the responses and chewing fingernails while the betas read. They hope for cheers and Let's break out the champagne for this one kind of responses.

Critiquers are usually writers who are willing to give a fellow writer some constructive criticism and/or praise. Many writers, like me, join a writer's critique group to get help in polishing a piece of writing, to find out if it is worth pursuing, and more. I found out early on in my writing journey that while those 'atta girl' critiques inflate the ego a bit, the ones that rip your writing up one side and down the other are the critiques that are the most helpful. Sounds a bit masochistic, does it not? 

The main thing a writer must keep in mind is pointed out in our poster today. The criticism is not about you, the person. Instead, it is concerned with what you have written. Those words on the paper or screen that you hope will thrill others are exactly that--words. 

Some might argue that what we write is every bit 'us' the person. Even so, writers must learn that any criticism they receive, whether from those beta readers or professional writers who critique their work, is meant to help them grow as a writer. Both help by giving the writer another chance to revise and edit before submitting to a publisher. I would add a third word to 'revise and edit'--polish. 

Ever see photos of a child polishing an apple before handing it to the teacher? Sounds, of course, like a Norman Rockwell painting. That little girl or boy wants the apple to be special before giving it to the teacher. It's exactly how we should want to see our writing--polished and shining, as close to perfect as possible. 

Once we give our work to others to read and critique, we set ourselves up for more work. You know, deep down, that what you've written is not going to come back unmarked. But, isn't that what we should all want? To write and rewrite until we have a worthy piece of writing. One that shines like a polished apple!

apple, food, fruit

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Granny, I attend a critique group occasionally. I have received critiques and I have critiqued others. One article, by a published member of our group, wrote something that I felt had too many local colloquialisms. Is that commonplace?

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using too many local colloquialisms depends on what kind of story it was. Or essay, or article. I know that's a lame kind of answer but I do think it works in some things and not others.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nancy,
    I love you blog posts and look forward to them each weekday. I'm another granny who seems to get involved in too many projects so I don't get my own writing done! Your posts usually arrive in my part of the world after 10:00 p.m. Some evenings I'm too tired to wait for them, but I read them as soon as I can in the morning.
    I don't have any English group where I live in Finland, though English was my first language when I grew up in Asia.
    I have several daily hurdles to overcome with my health and hubby's memory loss and other people's needs, which may or may not be excuses for my lack of writing regularly. I have too many subjects - interests - that overlap each other in this writing sphere. I appreciate your words of wisdom in each blog you write. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Lisa, for your comment. I appreciate hearing that you enjoy the blog. As for weiting-- Life often gets in the way as we move along our writer's journey. I hope you'll find a small amount of time to continue writing.

    ReplyDelete

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...