Thursday, April 19, 2018

Writers and New Beginnings



There's a bit of excitement when starting something new--a new job, a new relationship, a new book to read, a new house, a new year. It's wonderful to put your foot on a blank path with all kinds of possibilities ahead of you.

So it is for writers who get the urge to begin a new writing project. Quite often, I have thoughts about it for days, even weeks, before I actually sit down and put fingers to keyboard. Other times, I get inspired, drop other tasks and start pounding the keys to get that first draft written. The best thing is that when it's time to begin, I have no doubts. 

I also do not know if what I'm about to ensue will be of any worth or not. Some are and some are pure drivel. As the poster tells us, we should trust the magic of beginnings. That magic comes from being enthused, or even excited, about writing something new. It's probably a time that brings out the best 'writer' in us. 

When we have been working on a writing project, such as a full novel, for what can feel like an eternity, we're less apt to be as excited as we were at the onset. Thoughts like Will I ever finish? Why did I ever start this? If I'm bored with this, maybe readers will be, too. I'm so done with this! run through our minds. It's then that we should perhaps set the old aside and begin something new. It could give us the spark needed to go back to the other project with a bit more enthusiasm. 

Last evening, I started reading a book recommended to me by a friend. I turned the first pages to the page where the novel begins. It startled me a bit because there was one paragraph followed by a lone sentence. That handful of words were skillfully written, making me want to turn the page and get into the story. I felt excited about was to come after reading the hint in the concise opening page. 

That's the way I want to feel when I start writing a new story. I hope I never have that same old, same old attitude when an entirely new project with endless possibilities is mine to grasp and enjoy. How about you? What is the best part of beginning a new writing project? What magic do you find with each one? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...