Monday, April 23, 2018

Lady In The Garden--What's Her Story?

free image from Vintage Victorian Images


I am careful to use only free images from online sites when I am writing my blog post. If you use a photo you found online or are using a search engine to find one, be sure to use 'free' in the keyword for your search. 

I'm later than usual in posting, so let's do a photo prompt exercise. I've been saving this picture because I liked it so much. Yes, I'm a romantic who loves historical fiction. While very lovely, the photo also gives us much to consider before writing.

Play the old "What if?" game. What if this happened while the lady was picking flowers? Or that happened? Will it be something wonderful? Or something to make us shudder? 

Look at her dress and parasol. What can you say about it that will describe it well? How about all that paraphernalia she most likely wore underneath? And what about her hairstyle? Easy to do each day? Did she need help? 

Ask yourself if she's happy or sad. Is she picking the flowers for a party or to add something special to her home. Is she waiting for someone or has someone just left? 

Sensory details? Smell might come to mind first when you see the mass of flowers. Is there sound in the garden? 

I've given you lots to consider while studying the picture. Now write a paragraph, two or a full story. Have fun and share if you'd like in the comments section. 

1 comment:

  1. The scent of roses filled Emmaline's heart as she tried to erase the memory of Royal's sudden departure.

    How's that for an opening sentence?

    ReplyDelete

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...