Thursday, April 19, 2012

No Waiting, No Worries At This Website for Writers

Several years ago, I stumbled across a website where anyone can post their work. I posted a story, then another and kept on going. I met a lot of people on the site who were regulars, and before I knew it, I was one of them.

It was unlike submitting my work for publication. There was no waiting to hear from an editor. There was no worrying as to whether the story would need major revisions. There was also no pay. But money is not the only benefit that comes from seeing our work published.

In the early days of the website, there was a logo at the top of the home page. It said Everyone has a story. What's yours? It's been removed and I find that a bit sad, as I think it said in a very few words what this website was all about.

I can hear you scoffing already. You're wondering what the quality of the work is on a site where anyone can post. Some is pretty amateur writing, and other pieces are pretty professional. The people who post here are as varied as you'll find anywhere. There are wanna-be writers who have no idea about point of view, voice, writing tools etc. There are middle-of-the-road writers who have some talent but aren't there yet. And there are some outstanding writers who spin a great story time after time.

Photos can be added to the postings. There is a space for comments from readers which encourages new writers and pleases the experienced ones, too. A writer can track the number of hits they get. For awhile, some of the stories were recorded and a visitor to the site could either read or listen to the stories. I recorded a few of mine and found it great fun.

There are people who have only posted once or twice and others who post on a very regular basis. I continue to post occasionally for three reasons. First, that story is saved forever. Second, I look for feedback, and third, I enjoy many of the regular writers. I'm kind of a cheerleader at this site because I post comments frequently. All writers need encouragement, beginners or seasoned pros. I must admit that there are times when I'd like to give advice on how to make a story better, but I restrain myself in that department. And believe me, it's sometimes difficult.

One drawback is that if you post a story at Our Echo, it's considered published and limits the markets you might send it to. Many writers post something that has been published elsewhere, which is what I often do.

The editor selects a group of 20 stories every now and then to be included in Editor's Choice, also some to be put in the site's Hall of Fame. She highlights some of the comments made, too.

You will need to create an account to post at Our Echo, but it's quick, easy, free and obligates you to nothing. Just meant to keep spam out.

Take a look at Our Echo. Maybe you'll want to post something. Find a writer you like and read his/her work. If you visit regularly, you'll get to know the writers. Many write memoirs, some do fiction, others share poetry. A few write political or environmental  non-fiction.


2 comments:

  1. Nancy, even if a writer posts a story on OurEcho, he or she can remove it by going to their directory of stories and indicating by the story to remove it from view. I did that once when I wanted to submit that story elsewhere. Out of sight, out of mind!
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that's true, but if you want it stay forever, ti will.

    ReplyDelete

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...