Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Conference--Day 2

I was right about all the waiting yesterday. Besides the airport wait, the plane sat on the tarmac for a full hour while maintenance checked an oil leak. Pilot put the 'pedal to the medal' though and made up half an hour's time.

We had a wonderful dinner here in one of the cottages (I was calling them 'cabins' but learned they are 'cottages). One of the wac members brought shrimp from the Carolina coast which landed in a giant pot of the best gumbo ever. Added to that were wonderful salads and more. It was time to catch up on news from people who had not seen one another in person for 18 months.

This morning, I'm writing looking out onto the Potomac River and lots of trees, little squirrels scampering between them. The golden leaves of some of the trees complement those that are still green. An occasional deer wanders through this wooded area, too. Nature at her best.

The cottages are wired for wi-fi, but it didn't work when I tried to connect last night. One of the park maintenance guys came over this morning to work on an electrical outlet and I asked him about it. He checked it out and figured it out. Plug all plugs in! The box was in a place none of us would ever had looked.  Big problem, simple solution!

My cottage mates and I are going to explore the area this afternoon. Tonight is the opening dinner of the conference--a barbecue. We begin our sessions tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful place to write, talk about writing, and learn about writing. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...