Friday, April 15, 2011

Double Trouble

Why do woes seem to multiply? One computer problem is more than enough for one writer. But the cyber genies decided to sock it to me twofold yesterday.

I have both a desktop and laptop. The desktop has been having mild temper tantrums recently, and I knew it was only a matter of time before it erupted like a volcano. Wrong visual in that statement, because the darned thing just up and quit. Keeps turning itself off. And no amount of cajoling or pampering has helped. This happened a year or two ago and my repair guy  put in a new electrical board. Worked like a charm until now. Seems to me it should have worked longer than this, but what do I know?

So, I pulled out my laptop and proceeded to read and answer e-mails. I could receive e-mail just fine, but I could not send anything out. I fiddled with this and that and finally called my server for tech help. Jeremy, the tech, and I spent well over an hour trying to correct the problem. No luck, but Jeremy and I did become good friends by the end of our lengthy phone chat.

I can use web2mail.com to send e-mails, but it's a bit of a pain as it requires several steps to do so. And being an impatient person, it does my blood pressure no good.

Add to this the fact that I am keeping the Log for my online critique group this month. It's been easy and kind of fun to track the subs, crits, comments etc for the group on a spreadsheet. But there's the problem, for it's in the Documents file on my desktop. I'm crossing my fingers that the repair guy can get the computer going long enough to download my files onto a flashdrive for me. I've also got to decide whether to put another $100 into the desktop or not. All my writing stuff is in that Doc file. I have been meaning to put it on a flash drive for a long time. One of those things on the list that didn't seem a priority. Seems it should have. This also does my blood pressure no good.

All is not lost as I can use my laptop for everything except sending out e-mail as it should. Tune in Monday to see how my double trouble works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...