Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Summer Reading--Mine and Yours

 



 
Today's post is for readers, including writers who are also readers. I've repeatedly encouraged all writers to be avid readers. Writers learn a great deal from reading the work of other writers. But, back to reading.

What are you reading this summer? Something light? Or a book that makes you do some deep thinking? Fiction? Nonfiction? Mystery? Romance? Sci-fi? Fantasy? Horror? Erotica? Favorite classics? Use the comment section to let us know what you are currently reading, or have recently read.

I enjoyed Christina Hamlett's A Little Larceny in Lynouth, a cozy mystery and Book 1 in a series. You can read my review at Amazon or put the book title in the search box at the top right on my blog. An entertaining book that took me away from everyday chores and transported me to a little village in England. 

The Diamond Eye by Kate Quinn captured my attention immediately. It's fiction based on an actual person. The story is about a young Russian woman who loves history and research but becomes a sniper in the Red Army during the early days of WWII. She is selected as part of a group of Russians who tour the USA asking for backing and funds before America enters the war. Mila becomes friends with Eleanor Roosevelt. A fascinating piece of history. 

I also read The Personal Librarian by Marie Benedict and Victoria Christopher Murray which has been on the Best Seller list. Once again, fiction based on a real person(s). The woman who becomes J. P. Morgan's Personal Librarian lives with a secret. She is a black woman who is able to pass for white. Why she does this and how it affects her life is the basis for the story, as well as her relationship with the financial magnate in the early 20th century. Very well written by this dual writing team.

At the moment, I am reading The Murder Stone by Charles Todd. I've mentioned this author in earlier posts. Charles Todd is actually a mother-son writing team who have a long list of titles for their Inspector Ian Rutledge series and many more about Bess Crawford, Nurse. Both series take place in the WWI era and the few years after. The Murder Stone is a stand alone book, featuring neither of the series characters. These mysteries move at a fairly slow pace but have enough twists and turns to keep the reader interested in what's happening in London or one of the small villages in the UK.

I am a frequent library visitor, both my local public library and the library in the main building of the senior complex where I live. I also purchase books occasionally. Being a fast reader and having little space to keep a great many books, I use the library more often. 

I enjoy historical fiction and mysteries, both the thriller, suspense kind and the cozy mystery books. For some reason, I am drawn to books that take place during WWII, and right now, there are a great many of them being published. I like family sagas. I read biographies once in a while and always enjoy them, as well as memoir. The nonfiction books I read are mostly ones that deal with the craft of writing. 

If I find a book I like a lot, I'll look for more books by the same author. Some of the authors I like are John Grisham, Kate Quinn, Pearl Buck, Louise Penny, Charles Todd, Nora Roberts, Ken Follett, Rosamunde Pilcher, Anna Quindlen. There are others, but this list is long enough.

How about you? What are you reading this summer? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...