Tuesday, July 12, 2022

2 Submission Sources

 


Yesterday, I received a notice of acceptance from the Southern Arizona Press. I'd submitted a short, simple poem titled 'Fairy Kisses' for their latest anthology, titled Dragonflies and Fairies. When I saw the Call for Submission, I remembered the poem I had written with the intention of it being published in a children's book or magazine. The poem sat in my files for a very long time, long enough to be dusty! 

Not long before this acceptance, I received one from 105 Meadowlark Reader, which is a journal published quarterly in Kansas, about Kansas, and written by Kansans. The upcoming issue deals with food, and my story, The Pie Lady, seemed just right. The editors thought so, too. 

I must admit that in and around these two successes I had several submissions to other publications that were turned down. The point is that I have submitted my writing in hopes of publication. If your work sits in your files, gathering dust, you'll never have the joy of reading your work in a publication. 

Finding places where you can submit is not always easy. It takes some work on your part. A search engine is your friend when it comes to finding publications that fit your writing. 

Facebook is your friend, as well, since there are many writing related group pages. One that I have found helpful is Call for Submissions which is a page for writers that offers many sources of places to which you can submit. If you are a Facebook member, go to the search box at the top left and type in Call for Submissions. When the page comes up, click Join, and you will find them in your newsfeed off and on. Or you can pop over there and check each day or once a week or whatever suits you. 

If you aren't on Facebook, why not? Yes, you hear some things about this social media page that might be a turn-off, but it is up to you how much time you spend there, what you post and what you read. It's helpful in adding to your writer's platform. You can make contacts with other writers, make announcements about your own writing, and more. Call for Submissions is only one of many writing group pages. Put Writing Groups in the search engine at the top left to find many more. Be selective. Join too many, and you might be overwhelmed. 

Another place that offers me sources is Sally Clark's Submission page, which is part of her author website. She sends individual notices for those who subscribe. I don't visit the page, but instead, I check each notice she sends to see if I have any interest. The Southern Arizona Press, where my poem will be published, was one Sally Clark sent. I would probably never have found it otherwise. The page says Christian Writers Submission Information. Yes, she does send info on Christian publications, but others, as well. 

I hope these two tips will help you find homes for whatever you have written--stories, poems, essays, and articles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...