Thursday, December 2, 2021

Reading About Writing--Yes or No?

(NOTE:  NEXT POST WILL BE ON MONDAY, DECEMBER 6)

Like others in the writing world, I often recommend reading all you can about this craft. Most reference books about writing are authored by published writers who have been in the business for some time. Therefore, they must know what they are talking about. Right? And you should follow everything they tell you. Right? Well, not necessarily.

I think writers should read all they can about the mechanics of writing, about the experiences of other writers, and more. But you don't have to take every word as gospel truth. Some writers share what has worked for them, but maybe it won't work for you. That's alright. We don't need to be rigid in adhering to what other writers tell us.

Instead, we absorb what they have to say and then sift and sort. One writer might advocate writing a book from an outline. He/she might tell you that is the only way to write a book. Maybe it's the only way for them and a number of others, but there are writers who have a general idea, start writing, and let the story lead them. 'Pantsters' in the name we give them, since they apparently write 'from the seat of their pants.' Silly, I know, but right on, too. 

When you read multiple how-to books about writing, and you see the same things repeated, you should pay attention. If many writers are in agreement about theme, plot, point of view and more, there must be something worthwhile in what they have to say. 

Try the things you learn as you read about our craft. If they work for you, that's great. If they don't, it's not a problem. There are thousands of people who write, and no two write exactly alike. Use what works for you and figure out a different way, if you would prefer. 

One bit of caution--if you go way overboard in shunning the known methods and then submit to a publisher or editor, you may get some negative feedback. Be ready to defend yourself and explain the how and why of they way you wrote a story. 

I will still advise writers to read all they can about writing. It is certainly helpful in so many respects. When I started writing, my goal was to write for children in the 8-12 age group. I read every book I could find about writing for children. I learned many bits and pieces I had not been aware of. Had I gone off the high board in the deep waters of writing for kids without reading first, I would probably have never had a story published. Once I had read a number of books about this kind of writing, I felt more confident and ready to submit my work for possible publication. 

So, yes, read about writing; read about reading so you know the group you're aiming at, read about submitting, read about revising and editing. Examine the information and be your own writer. As today's poster says:  Nothing is written in stone.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...