Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Writers Must 'Actually Write'

Today's quote has two keywords--'actually write.' All the thinking about writing will not get the job done. You must put pencil to paper or fingers to keyboard and string words together that combine to make a whole piece of writing. Be it a short story, an essay, an article or a poem. It is not writing until you physically write the words.

Writers do a lot of thinking about what they will write. That much is true. But, if all you do is think and never do the physical act itself, you might as well give up the idea of being a writer.

I was once in an in-person writing group that met monthly. There were only around 7 or 8 people in the group. Few brought something to read for critiquing purposes. There was a lot of talk about what each one hoped to write someday, about the ins and outs of writing, what you had to do to get published and more. It finally came down to the fact that this group of would-be writers enjoyed talking about writing far more than they did any actual writing. You cannot be a writer if all you do is think about it or talk about it. 

Why did that happen? Perhaps some were laced with fear that, if they did write something, it would be criticized or would not have any worth. Those people did not believe in themselves. They had low self esteem when it came to writing. The desire was there, but it wasn't strong enough to pursue real writing.

The desire to write has to be strong if you are going to find success. By success, I don't mean being published, I mean having a file of things you have written. Actually written! You can think and think and think about writing, but you're not a writer unless you sit down and write. 

You can read book after book, article after article about being a writer. Unless you write something, you are only learning, not doing. Not that I am putting down the learning part of writing. I would never do that. ?Reading about writing is a very important step, but it only benefits you if you put what you have read into practice by actually writing. 




 

3 comments:

  1. Agreed. Talking about your writing can also prevent writing because it doesn't allow the urgency of writing to develop. There are times when I decline the opportunity to discuss what I'm writing. I choose to write rather than talk about what I'm writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It felt good to read the following sentence.
    "By success, I don't mean being published, I mean having a file of things you have written."
    I have files of writing but seldom get published. but, I guess in order to get published. One needs to submit their writing. Enjoy your blog. Dana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I'm glad something in the post resonated with you. As for publishing, I think you solved your own problem. Yes, you do have to submit. :)

      Delete

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...