Tuesday, November 2, 2021

An Amazing Rejection Letter

 




You never know what might pop up in your email. Yesterday, I received a most unusual rejection letter from a magazine. Their call for submissions was to write a historical fiction story based on facts. There was a maximum word count, and they asked for Discussion Questions to be sent with the story, as well as any photos that were pertinent to the story. 

I had a story in my files that I felt fit the guidelines quite well. I sent it along with a photo. A few weeks went by, and I had actually forgotten about the submission. Yesterday's email came from the editor of the magazine. It was unusual because it was quite lengthy and also complimentary. This kind woman noted that I had not sent the Discussion Questions, so she made some up for me. (Wow!) The only reason I didn't send the Discussion Questions was that I forgot! A poor excuse!

She said that the story had gone to the Editorial Review Committee as a first step. They all liked the overall concept of the story, but did not feel the focus and content was right. She added that they thought I was a 'good' writer, and one even said a 'quality' writer. Needless to say, that last part pleased me. 

Then, she listed nine individual comments regarding the story. I found them quite interesting, although I did not agree with the majority. In reading through the comments, it became obvious that individual readers look at the same story in a completely different way. I'm guessing their outlook is based on their own values and experiences. One wanted to put today's culture into a story that took place in 1912. Life was completely different then as to what it is now. 

Lastly, the editor offered to let me rewrite the story with the focus the review committee wanted. To do so would change the story in a big way. I wanted to remain true to this family story, and so I thanked the editor but declined the offer. This is a well-known magazine and the pay rate was good. Even so, I felt I had to stay true to my original story. Nevertheless, it was a wonderful rejection letter.

Lesson learned here is that no two people view a story in the same way. Many certainly did not see what this writer did. Also, that a writer should stay with what they believe and not change a story for the sake of being published. 

Did this rejection upset me? No. I felt disappointed, but I also appreciated the comments of the Review Committee very much. I still feel like it is a good story but not for this particular publication. I can still submit it elsewhere.

When you receive a rejection like this one, you'll know exactly why it was rejected, and that is so much better than being told No and that's the end. It helps to understand the why and wherefore and to know what to do next time the story is submitted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...