Thursday, September 23, 2021

Wannabe Writers Who Can't Begin

 


I have heard people say countless times--"I would love to write, but I can't seem to get started.' Or 'I plan to write my family stories, but I haven't got time to do it.' Or 'I am going to write my family stories someday." Or 'I've always wanted to be a writer, but I don't know how to begin.'

All of them aspire to write and have good intentions, but they never get to step one. Our poster today gives some good insight as to how you become a writer. Neil Gaiman says:  This is how you do it:  you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until it's done. It's that easy, and that hard." 

I'm glad he added the bit at the end about it being easy and hard. That is so true. 

One of the hard parts is taking that first giant step. Ask yourself some questions.

A.  How serious am I about wanting to write?

B.  Why do I keep making excuses?

C.  Could I set aside 30-60 minutes a day, or every other day, to write?

D.  Am I willing to read about writing to help me learn about the craft?

E.  Can I ask for help from another write?

F.  Do I have the discipline to start writing? 

G.  Is my desire to write strong enough?

H.  Am I willing to do writing exercises to help me learn?

One reason many talk about wanting to write but never take the first step is fear. Fear of the unknown is real. We aren't sure we can do something even if the desire is there. What if we're a big flop? What if others laugh at our efforts? What if....? So many concerns for the new writer. Maybe one fear is that once you start, you'll feel compelled to continue. 

The strength of your desire to write is key. If it's only a passing thought, it probably won't happen. 

Those who want to write family stories have the same time constraints and concerns as the people who want to write for publication. 

Get a small notebook. Jot down ideas for stories. If phrases come to you that you like, write them in the notebook for future use. Otherwise, those lovely words will float right out of your head into the blue skies above.

The only way to begin is to begin. Redundant? No. Important? Yes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...