Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Embrace Your Writer Friends

 


While chatting with a neighbor, I said something about 'one of my writer friends...' Later, I thought about that term 'writer friends' and had to smile. Why? Because over the years of writing, I have acquired a great many 'writer friends,' and they are an important part of my life.

I'm of the opinion that all writers should cultivate a large group of writer friends. Our poster today gives a definition of a friend. All the points made can apply to writer friends. I have had other writers give me encouragement, said a prayer or two for me, and given me hope when I needed it. They've lifted me up more than once. 

My online writing group friends have done all of those stated and more. We know one another well and are supportive. It's not only about critiquing a submission, even though that is the main purpose of the group. When one member has an illness or difficult time or a family loss, the others are there for her. 

I've made many writer friends through social media. Joining writing groups on Facebook has brought some, but others have come because one writer tells another and that one gravitates to my page. I have never met many of these people in person, but I consider them friends, nevertheless.

Another place I have made friends with writers is through my state authors' organization. Many have become close friends whom I treasure. We have a common bond and relate well to one another. We support and promote each other's work.

Writer friends are there for consultation. We can ask what they think about an idea we have, or ask them to read a short story and give some feedback. We can cry on their shoulders when we receive umpteen rejections for one submission. Who can understand that situation better than another writer? They also rejoice with us when something good happens on our writing journey. Once again, our success is understood better by them than from other everyday, non-writing friends. 

If you don't have any, or only a few, writer friends, now is the time to find some. Reach out to help another writer, and you'll soon have a writer friend. 

Embrace writer friends for they are special. Give them a hug in person or virtually, but let them know you care.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...