Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Endings in Your Stories


I pretty much agree with our quote today by none other than Plato. I would add that the ending is a very important part of a book or short story, as well. 

Yesterday, the ladies in my Book Club were discussing a book we'd read and enjoyed, but every person said they were disappointed with the way it ended. The reader is kind of left hanging with many questions yet to be answered. 

I've read other books or stories that have a less than satisfying ending. I always feel like the author was really done with writing and wanted it to be finished. Get it over. I've had it! What a disappointment for readers who have stayed with the full reading only to be shaking their head at the ending or still filled with questions. We want the loose ends neatly tied up. 

We know we should have strong beginnings, but the endings need to be strong, as well. There are also different kinds of endings. Everybody is happy, a lesson learned, a surprise, a cliffhanger, and more. You might google 'writing endings' and read a few articles about the importance and how-to of bringing a story to a conclusion. 

Some authors use an epilogue to let the reader know a bit more as to how the characters fared after the ending of the story. As a reader, I like them since I often wonder what happens to the characters next. 

When writing a personal essay, the ending should offer the reader the universal truth or lesson learned from all that precedes the final paragraphs. It can also be written in another part of the essay, but most often, we find this universal truth or lesson in the last paragraph or two. It's the reason you wrote the essay in the first place. It's the golden nugget you're offering your readers. 

Nancy Kress is a science fiction writer who wrote a book for the Elements of Fiction series. The title is Beginnings, Middles, and Ends. I read it many years ago when I was a newbie writer. I found it to be a clear and concise reference book. The book is still in print, hardcover, paperback and ebook. It's lasted these many years because it is well done and still relevant for the writers of today. Your library might have it, or look at your favorite bookseller website to find it. It receives 4.5 stars. We're discussing endings today, but Ms, Kress has good advice for the beginning and the middle of your story, too.

For the writer, endings can be difficult. He/she has worked hard to bring a story to the readers in the best way they know. He/she doesn't want to let the reader down with a weak ending. When editing the final draft, ask yourself if the ending is of the same caliber as the rest of the book. Ask yourself if you hurried up and ended the story, or did you put a lot of thought and planning into it?

I don't write a lot of fiction, and when I do, it's usually a story for 9-12 year olds. I often have trouble when it comes to finding a satisfying ending for the story. I don't want it to be a dull thud kind of ending, but sometimes it feels that way to me. That's when I go back and do a rewrite, and maybe another one, until I  am satisfied.

Plato's point about beginnings should be heeded, but I'd like to think he would have put as much importance on the endings, as well. I hope you will, too.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...