Friday, March 12, 2021

Writing and Accepting Constructive Criticism


 

When I was growing up, my mother and I played a game. Or at least, it seemed that way. Step 1 was me doing something wrong or not accomplishing a task the way it should be done. Step 2 was Mom saying this phrase: "Just a bit of constructive criticism." Step 3 was me pouting or pressing my lips together waiting for the admonishment to come next. Step 4 was Mom showing me the better way. Step 5 was me redoing the task to my mother's satisfaction with the bit of praise she usually added to finish our 'game.' Not without a grumble here and there, however.

We played this game well into my teen years. As I grew older, I realized that she was not being a 'mean mom' but trying to help me learn the right way or the better way to carry out a task. She was a wise woman. 

As writers, if we put our work in front of a writing partner, a critique group, or an editor, we're agreeing to have any of them show us what we need to do to make our story, essay, article, poem better. Should we look at them as that 'mean mom?' Absolutely not! 

Those who critique our work have one aim, which is to help us improve a piece and to become a better writer. We never reach perfection, so there is always room to grow in our craft. 

Admit it. You've probably been hurt by some critiques along the way. Especially in the early days of your writing journey. I certainly was. Your initial thought is They didn't like what I wrote. Then They're jealous and want to be mean. Or Why are they putting me down like this?

Let's look at all three of those muddling thoughts: 

They didn't like what I wrote. If you think this way, you're considering that the critiquer hated every word in your submission. That's more than likely untrue. If you see comments and suggestions in the text, it's usually the parts the person critiquing thinks can be improved. It doesn't mean the whole thing is to be tossed. It's nice if the crit person does like the story, but that is not really necessary. Their job is to help you create the best story possible. 

They're jealous and want to be mean.  This would be a rare thing indeed. A writer who offers to help improve another writer's work doesn't have jealousy as a motive. She/he might envy some of the ways you wrote, but that's not the same thing. The intent is to help. Why in the world would she/he try to be mean to you if she/he signed on to critique with the thought of helping make your work publishable? 

Why are they putting me down like this? This response is showing the hurt you feel when your work didn't receive flying colors from others. This is the time to remind yourself of why you submitted your work for critique in the first place. Were you looking for high praise, or were you seeking ways to make your story the best it could be? Hopefully, the latter is your aim. 

The longer we write, and the more often we put our work out for critique, the easier it is for us to accept the suggestions and do some more editing and revising. Remember, also, that the person who critiques your work is there to help, not hinder, your writing journey. 

Recently, I submitted the first draft of a new story I hope to submit to a Chicken Soup book to my online writing group. Five people 'critted' it for me. There was one spot that proved to be unclear because almost all of them pointed it out. When multiple people hit on the same area, then I know that I must rework that section. I knew how it looked, but I had not made it clear to my readers. Did I appreciate every one of those comments in that area? You bet I did. It's why I am in a writing group. They help me make my writing better, and I try to do the same for them. 

To sum it up, remember that those who critique your writing are there to help you become a better writer. It's that 'bit of constructive criticism' game like Mom and I played long ago. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing how your mom was your original editor. Also, your reasoning makes sense, most likely those who critiqued your work didn't hate everything or hate you.

    ReplyDelete

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...