Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Writers--Lend a Helping Hand


 Lend a Helping Hand

How can writers lend a helping hand to others? Let me count the ways!

Mentoring a newbie writer

Doing critiques in a writing group

Offering individual help away from the writing group

Give programs about writing to help others interested in writing

Make school visits to talk about writing

Offer to judge a writing contest

Accept an office in a local, state, or national writing organization

Promote writing whenever and wherever possible

Offering a blog for writers

Writing a book review for an author

I have been blessed with the ability to put words and sentences together to create stories, essays, and poetry many of which have been published. I've always felt that it is part of my mission in this life to help others who want to write or are writers already. It's why I started this blog in 2009. My aim was to share a bit of my writing world and to give tips and encouragement to other writers. 

If you're having coffee or a drink with a writer friend, the conversation that ensues is most likely helpful to each person participating. For one thing, it's an upper to converse with someone who understands the writing world like you do. At the end of a get-together with another writer, you usually feel a sense of satisfaction. Don't wait until a writer asks you to have coffee. Do the asking yourself. 

By giving programs or workshops or talking to school children, you're a walking advertisement for the writing world. You're helping others, and often finding real joy in doing so. 

I once edited a YA novel for a man I knew slightly. By the end of the process, he was grateful, I was incredibly happy that I could help someone polish a fine book, and we became good friends with all our back and forth emails. That small helping hand had benefits for both of us.

I once heard a rather selfish writer state that he/she wasn't giving away the secrets to his/her good writing. The attitude was 'let them learn on their own.' My thought is that if I help someone, they can do the same for me someday, but I also find happiness in helping even if I receive little or nothing in return.

Taking an office in a writing organization may be work, but it's also a way to help the group continue and to give a hand to those who prefer to sit and soak up what they can but not serve on committees or consent to be an officer. Many of them have valid reasons for declining, but others are not willing to give something of themselves. 

Writing book reviews is an easy and fine way to help other writers. It's something that also helps readers who are always on the lookout for a new book to read.

There are many ways to help other writers without eating too deeply into your own writing time.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...