Thursday, August 13, 2020

Is Your Writing Life Affected by the Pandemic?

 



The quote for today says "Everything that happens in our life is a catalyst for change and growth."

These words seem to carry more weight in our world today than ever before. Since mid-March, I've certainly had time to look at many parts of life in a different light. More than likely, you have, too.

That includes our writing life. How has your outlook on your writing world changed? Do you feel as though you've grown as a writer, stayed the same as before, or regressed? 

I have not been nearly as inspired to write during this downtime, and that concerns me. Yes, I write this blog 5 days a week, and I keep up with my commitment to my online writing group, but writing new stories has been far slower than usual. In talking with other writers, I find that I am not alone in this change. In fact, many are doing even less than I am. If you're feeling the same way, don't despair. I'm hoping that when our lives start running on a more normal track, we'll want to write more.

I have seen calls for submissions in a couple places (please don't ask where; I didn't keep note of them), so some writers might find inspiration from seeing those calls. Try a search engine to see who is looking for pandemic stories. Since writers are always looking for inspiration and places to submit their work, it could be a real boon for some writers. 

There may even be a few writers who have been spurred to write more, not less, than usual. Cheers for all who fall into this category.

Some will delight in having more time to write since they aren't attending organized events, or spending time shopping, or have more time because they work at home and are not commuting. We're always hoping for more writing time, and now that it's been forced upon us, we should try to put it to good use. 

What about the growth part of the quote. Do you feel as if you have grown as a writer during the many months of our pandemic? If you're not writing, there is little chance for growth. For those who have been writing in 2020, you have a much better chance of growing as a writer. Keep going! 

The pandemic, the civil unrest, and the sniping back and forth of politicians is bound to affect us in many ways. Possibly in our writing life, as well. Take some time to ponder how you have been affected on your writing journey during this unusual time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...