Friday, July 24, 2020

Writing Rule One--Begin!



I am a believer in thinking out your stories, essays, and poetry before ever writing that all-important first draft. While I do my everyday household tasks, I might be thinking about a story possibility. Even when I am watching tv in the evening, my mind often dwells on writing in some manner. 

Even though I've not written a single word, I consider it a beginning. The idea has to precede the first draft. If you sit in front of your computer with no thoughts about what to write, what will happen? Nothing! You'll continue to sit and stare at the screen. 

What every writer must learn is to pay attention to those writing world thoughts that dip and swirl through your mind like a dancer. What if you lose those thoughts? The best way to keep them is to jot down a note or two which will trigger your memory later.

Sometimes, I read something in the newspaper or a newsletter that triggers a writing possibility. I've learned to write myself a note, to write the phrase that reached out to me.  One phrase jumped out at me the other day in an article by a writer. I copied that phrase and wrote an entire post on it. It was my beginning.

There are writers who let those story ideas run through their minds over and over and over but never start writing the first draft. However and wherever, do start writing before the idea in your mind is so old and decrepit that it is rather meaningless.

Do some writers put off beginning out of fear that the result might not be very good? I'm sure that happens. Those first drafts are merely the start of something better. A first draft is never meant to be the final version of your idea. A few lucky people will only need to make minor adjustments to that first writing, but they are in the minority. Most of us write and rewrite a number of times before we consider our story ready for submission. 

The idea is to begin. You cannot have a finished piece unless you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...