Friday, May 29, 2020

New Beginnings for Writers




Yesterday's post was aimed at those of us who are finding it difficult to write during these troubled times. Today, I thought it might be good for all of us to discuss new beginnings. It's something we're all looking forward to in our day to day life, but we know that it is going to take a while before it happens.

Meanwhile, how about having a new beginning in your writing life? Is there a story or poem that has been doing flips and dips in your mind? One that you've thought about but just never got around to working on it. If you've been having any kind of difficulty in writing, let today be the first day of a better writing life.

My state authors group runs an annual writing contest. They accept submissions from April 1st to June 15th. I've worked on polishing up a few things that I plan to enter, but I haven't started a brand new story. Chicken Soup for the Soul has a call for submissions for several books now in the planning stages. I've thought about writing a story for one of them. Today's the day to stop thinking and start writing.

I love new beginnings. I enjoy turning the calendar page to a new month. It feels like a breath of fresh air, a whole month with who knows what to come? I like starting to read a book. It's fresh and new to me, perhaps the beginning of something very enjoyable. When I was in high school and college, I liked starting a new class. I must admit the joy often wore off once I realized how much work would be involved. Still, those first few meetings were fun. It's fun to wear a new clothing item for the first time. A new beginning of any kind is uplifting.

So, how about a new beginning today? If you've been stuck in your writing journey these past weeks, today's the perfect time to get moving again. Maybe that new beginning will be a great one. I hope so!

Today's poster quote bears repeating: And suddenly you know. It's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings." --Meister Eckhart

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...