Thursday, May 28, 2020

A Bit of Help For Writers in This Pandemic



When I looked through my library of poster quotes, this one stopped me. I got to thinking that we've all had times when that drive and desire to write has left us. I think it's happening to a lot of writers now as we make our way slowly and hesitantly through this pandemic our entire world is experiencing. 

We have all had days during this period when the inspiration to do anything around the house has fled, and the thought of sitting down to write something new or work on polishing a piece already in the works is just abhorrent to us. If it happens now and then, I would not be too worried because you are one of a myriad of writers having this problem. If you have certain days where the desire to write makes itself known, give it a try. Even if you only write a little bit, that's progress.

It's when it becomes a constant that would be concerning. If you quit writing throughout this troublesome period, it's not as easy to go back with vigor once our lives become normal, or semi-normal again. Stop writing altogether, and it will be easier to just let your writing life slide. I'm speaking about people, like me, who are not professional writers who make a living from the words they type. Once you stop altogether, the harder it will be to get back to where you were last January.

You've read about Julia Cameron's Morning Pages on this blog several times. Her advice to writers is to handwrite three pages in a notebook every morning, soon after you rise. Not a story, not a poem, not an essay. Instead, write whatever comes to your mind, even if it doesn't make much sense. Write about how you felt the night before when this or that occurred. Write about what you have on your schedule for the day. The key here is that no matter what you write your creative juices can start to flow, and your mind is cleared so that you can write seriously later in the day. I have a Guest Blogger who will be talking more at length about this topic in a few weeks. 

What you can do with those Morning Pages now is write about the pandemic and how it is affecting you, your family, your friends, your community, or your country. My writing group spent several weeks writing what we ended up calling our Pendemic. We wrote about all the things I mentioned here and then shared with the group. Some used poetic form while others wrote paragraphs. It seemed to help many in the group, as it gave them a safe place for releasing their thoughts and feelings. 

I'm a firm believer that writing helps us deal with many things. I think we can all agree that keeping strong feelings inside can make the situation worse. Try some Pendemic writing yourself. One real benefit is that you let those thoughts and feelings out and tell yourself that is done and now on with the rest of the day. You'll know that you can vent again the next morning. 

I can hear some of you saying Ha! I have to deal with little kids in the morning. I am working at home and have to get started in the morning. For those of you with situations like that, my only suggestion is to get up a little earlier than the rest of the people in your household and spend a matter of minutes writing your Morning Pages. 

Maybe you can turn the Pandemic into a Pendemic. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved this post! It is exactly what I needed to read today. I have allowed myself to get caught up in the pandemic find escape in not-so- healthy ways. Your post has inspired me to write instead of isolate. Thank you for sharing your gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that my words of encouragement were of some help to you. I wish many blessings for you today.

      Delete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...