Monday, April 20, 2020

Give Readers More

I was delayed in writing my post today as my large grocery order arrived. I needed to put it away, then disinfect the countertop. It’s getting to be routine. I put the order in Saturday afternoon, and they delivered today. Another big grocery store in town is a week between order and delivery. 

I did find more than I ordered in a few items. I ordered 1 package of chicken thighs, and I got 3. Ordered 1 lb of ground beef and received 2. I ordered flour, which has been impossible to get for weeks.  But they sent a 10 lb bag.  I ordered a 5 lb bag.  

All those extras are just fine.  I got more than I expected.  I froze the chicken, and I will use the extras. I found myself feeling rather pleased that I ended up with more than I expected.  Much nicer than getting less. 

It’s the same when you deliver a story or essay or poem. Give your readers more. The writers who do this are the ones who become successful and even become household names. 

You give more to your readers more by doing your very best writing. That includes planning including details.  It means taking time to edit and edit again. It means letting the piece simmer a few days before you edit.  It means not submitting until you, the author, is satisfied with what you wrote.  Very satisfied. 

NOTE:  I am still writing my posts on my phone which is why there are no photos or links.  I ordered a new laptop Saturday, but it won't arrive til May 7th.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...