Monday, April 6, 2020

Fingers of Fear and Hands of Hope



Listening to friends via phone calls, reading what my online writing group pals are writing every day for our "Pen-demic" exercise, and reading what many are posting on Facebook makes me sit up and take notice. There is a pandemic that we are all aware of. Along with awareness comes uncertainty, fear, and depression.

Some are voicing their thoughts about this trying time, while others are most likely thinking about it but holding it in. It seems to me that nearly all adults have had a sense of fear over this unprecedented time of illness and death, quarantining and self-isolation. It may not be all-consuming, stopping you from living life all day every day. Instead, the feeling of fear may come in bits and pieces, off and on through the day and night. Yes, night because lying in bed thinking about the problem can bring Mr. Fear right to your bedside.

Personally, I had one night when I woke at 3 a.m. and felt very afraid for my children and grandchildren, for my friends, for our world, and also for my husband and myself. When we walk in unknown territory, it's quite easy to have fearful thoughts. I've had small moments of fear since then but nothing like those fearful thoughts in the dark of night

I am a great proponent of writing to heal. I believe that writing about past traumas in your life is a step in healing. Not a cure but a step in the healing process. Writing your thoughts and feelings about what you are living through now can be helpful. You can release those inner fears. It may not make them disappear completely, but I think it can help. I write about my thoughts and feelings every day with my online writing group. Most of the members do. They run from fear to hope to living the best way we can right now. I think it has been helpful to all our members who are participating. Some right several paragraphs while others write poignant poems.

I've noticed several blogs, newsletters and websites in my writing world have suggested keeping a daily journal while the pandemic is going on all over the world. It's a way to record your thoughts and feelings about your personal life in this worldwide crisis. That's what my online writing group is doing by writing our daily Pen-demic. I have noted fear in many but also a great deal of hope. I've seen many who are trying to keep life as normal as possible right now. The hands of hope can stifle the fingers of fear.

Dwell on hope as often as you can. This situation cannot last forever. Someday, it is going to end, and we are going to know a lot about living through a crisis. We'll know about our own strength and endurance as well as our ability to continue chasing hope and pushing fear away.

Your own writing does not have to be anything you share with others. If it gives you some release, that's beneficial. If you do choose to share what you wrote with other family members or friends, that's fine, too. Parents can suggest to children of an age who can write to start their own journal or just write once or draw a picture to show what they are feeling. Maybe they are afraid, too, but haven't expressed it to their parents. Help them release their thoughts and talk with them afterward.

It must be difficult for parents of small children to know how much to tell them. They don't want to frighten the kids unnecessarily, but they need to make them aware of the rules of self-isolation and why we are doing it.

Please know that to have a little fear right now is pretty normal. You can help yourself and your family by turning to dwelling on hope, prayer if you a believer, and living as normally as possible in this troubled time. And try writing about your thoughts and feelings. Do it as a letter to yourself or one to share with others. When you write, get angry if you want to do that. Tell about your fears but also write about hope. 

2 comments:

  1. Another excellent blog about handling fear and remembering hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. It's something all of us are dealing with right now.

      Delete

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...