Friday, April 10, 2020

5 Ways To Help You Write During the Pandemic



I wanted you to know I am following the stay-at-home and social distance recommendations we have all been given. I think the majority of people are following the new rules. Those few who refuse to do so are the ones that will make the wait to go back to a more normal life longer for everyone as well as putting themselves in harm's way.  I feel a lot of anger toward them, and I hope they will wake up and see the seriousness of this pandemic. Alright, that is my rant for the day. And the hug in a heart is straight from my heart.

It seems that a good many writers are finding it difficult to write during this uncertain time. There are worries about our families (near and far), health, the economy, our own financial situation, and more. It's no wonder we aren't terribly inspired to write. For me, I'm a little disgusted with myself because I have more time than ever to write, and I really don't have the desire. I know I'm not alone. 

I started thinking about what I could do to give myself a swift kick in the rear and start writing more than my blog posts. Here are a few suggestions for you and for me: 
  1. Go through your files and choose something that is either not finished or needs revision. Make it your project for today. Just one. Read through the piece as objectively as you can, and that's not always easy when reading our own work. Make a list of the things you found that might be redone or enhanced. Then, start working. You needn't do two or three today. Only one. 
  2. Take some time to breathe. Sounds silly? Maybe not. A woman in my writing group suggested we try sitting quietly, then breathe in; exhale slowly. Breathe in, breathe out. Do this several times. I tried it and found that it worked best for me if I closed my eyes. I felt much calmer and ready to do a chore or watch tv or read a book. Try it today, and see if you might feel ready to write something. It doesn't have to be 1,000 or 2,000 words. Write a paragraph and keep going if you feel like you want to. Or just leave it at the one paragraph.
  3. Do a freewrite exercise by opening a book, pointing with eyes closed, then use the word your finger rests on for your freewrite springboard. Write for 10 minutes without stopping; let the thoughts run from mind to fingers. Whatever comes to mind from your word. Some may end up being nonsense while some might be the beginning of a story or an essay. 
  4. Try a photo prompt writing exercise. Find a photo or painting, maybe one on the wall in your own home, and study it. Then, start writing about what you see. Write as little or as much as you would like. 
  5. Most writers have books that deal with the craft of writing. Go through your collection and choose one. Sure, you've probably already read it, but read it again. It's like seeing a movie for the second time--you notice things you didn't on the first viewing. If you don't have one, google some articles on writing and read them online. The purpose is to get your mind wrapped around the art of writing and perhaps find some inspiration. 
If you do any or all of the above, you can say at the end of the day that you have written something or you have read about writing and felt inspired to write tomorrow. Or today! I feel like, once our lives get back to something more normal, our desire to write will return, as well. So, just breathe in, breathe out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Editing Polishes Your Writing

  I've often made the comment that the writing is easy while marketing your book is the tough part. Well, that was said with several gra...