Monday, January 20, 2020

Write About the Weather



Have you ever read a novel or short story that has little or no description in it? Dialogue and action moving the characters may be present, but the author doesn't bring the reader into the story. Letting the reader know what kind of day it was is one way to help develop an image in his/her mind. 

If I read that Tom and Mary are driving through a snowstorm, but the author tells me nothing more than that tidbit, I'm not going to have feel for what they are experiencing. If I read that Bill and Bob, two little boys, are walking home from school in a thunderstorm, and that's all the author says, then I can't feel what they feel. I want to be able to connect with the girl who is frightened by lightning as she runs home. I want to be able to feel her fear, and the author can help me do that by describing the lightning and showing the girl's reaction. 

For a writing exercise today, go through the list below and write a descriptive sentence or paragraph for each one. All are weather-related. Some can be combined.

  • snowstorm
  • thunderstorm
  • lightning
  • sunny day
  • ice storm
  • sleet
  • sprinkles
  • very cold temps
  • very hot temps
  • high humidity
  • blizzard
Doing the exercise now will help you when you're writing a story. You'll probably remember some of what you wrote for the exercise and can apply it.  Writing exercises are not 'busy work.' They are meant to help you learn and grow as a writer. Doing them is to your benefit. And sometimes, they can be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...