Thursday, June 13, 2019

Writers, Weeds, and Wishes



Our poster for today is all about perspective. The way we look at various parts of our lives means the difference between enjoying it or grumbling about it. What about your writing journey? The view we take is important in the way that journey progresses.

If you see a weed as you move down your writing path, you're likely to be the writer that doesn't show a great deal of growth in your writing. You have more negative thoughts about your writing and yourself as a writer than you should. 

There are a lot of writers who spend too much time putting themselves down. What goes across their mind might sound like this:  I'm never going to make it in top magazines. What publisher is going to pick up my book? It's really not that good. I don't want to self-publish because it's too much work. I'll never be a successful writer. The more you think those kinds of thoughts, the deeper you'll sink in despair. And that's not a very nice place. You don't want to go there. If you do, your feet will be stuck in the mud on your writing path.

Those writers who look at the little weed and immediately think of making a wish--they're the kind who will look for the positives in their writing life. They'll have thoughts like:  I'm ready to move to bigger and better publications. I know I've grown as a writer and can keep right on. I know I need to keep learning, and I will. If I choose the best places to submit, I have a better chance. I'd consider self-publishing my book because I believe in it, and I'm willing to work at it. Writers like this will move down that writing path at a more rapid pace than the ones who only see the weeds. 



So what's it going to be for you? Weed or Wish? Negatives or positives? I can promise you that life is a lot more pleasant for the Wish side writers. Sure, they have little blips now and then, but they know how to deal with them. They don't sit around having a pity party. You are the one in control of your writing journey. 

No writer is going to be 100% on either side. We might move back and forth, depending on the day and the situation. If we strive to stay on the Wishes side more often, we should be just fine. Note that I use 'we' because I'm including myself here, too.

1 comment:

  1. When I reread an article, story, or chapter I've read, generally, after a ton of my own editing, I can say, 'this is really good.' When I can say that, even if it's not a winner in a contest, I'm satisfied.

    ReplyDelete

Gourmet Touches--Titles and Quotes

  If you invite someone to dinner, you’re apt to add some special touches to the food and table décor. As a hostess, you try to make a dinne...