Friday, March 1, 2019

Take Care of Your Main Writing Tool


My post is a little later than usual. Yesterday afternoon, I was scrolling through Facebook, when all of a sudden, an alarm sounded, the screen turned flaming red, and a woman with a lovely British accent told me I needed to call such and such a number to get it fixed, If I didn't, they threatened to do something dire. I didn't panic, but I did fume because I had had the same thing happen several months ago. It cost me almost $200 to have my computer restored. 

I have an anti-virus program that claims to be 99% sure. How could I be so lucky as to be in the 1% that managed to get the virus? Then, I started thinking about when I'd registered with this particular anti-virus program and the fact that I had never had an update in the 2+ years I'd been with them. Strange? Yes, I thought so. 

Next, I scrounged through the papers in and near my computer desk and found the small notebook where I'd recorded the transaction. Read through what I'd written and did an oops. I had written when the 2017 version comes out, call the 800# to have it installed. No charge.  Obviously, I had completely forgotten that little suggestion. 

Did I want to shell out nearly $200 to have this problem on my computer taken care of? Of course not, but what choice did I have? 

Before I went to the computer repair shop, I decided to try the computer one more time to make sure that nasty red screen and alarm was still there. Much to my surprise, it was gone! E-mail worked. Google Chrome worked. Amazing. 

So, then I called my anti-virus security to get it updated. I spent well over an hour on the phone with the agent who was unsuccessful in getting into my computer because of a problem in Settings. Long story short, I need to get that taken care of before they can update the anti-virus. 

What all this is leading to is that writers need their writing tools--aka. our computer as the first and foremost. Without it, we're stuck like a tractor in a mudhole. Take time to keep your computer running smoothly; getting rid of unneeded files etc to speed it up. When there are little things that don't work right, don't let it slide. Get technical repair help. We do regular maintenance on our cars to keep them running well. Our computer is no different. I wish, however, that it was as simple as getting an oil change! Also, keep your anti-virus up to date.

If you are having any little glitches with your number one writing tool, take the time or make the effort to get it repaired or reset. Doing so might save you some headaches and some frustrating moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...