Thursday, February 28, 2019

Step Up The Pace In Your Writing Journey








Yesterday afternoon, I visited two ladies from my church congregation. We had a pleasant visit despite the fact that they are now living in a Memory Care Unit at a Senior Living Complex. Physically, they are fine, but severe short term memory loss makes life difficult for them and for their families.

As I drove home, it occurred to me that, since none of us knows when we might have similar problems or something else that slows us down, we need to push our writing journey into high gear. Are there stories yet to tell? Do you have a possible book swimming in your head but you haven't started writing it yet? Is there a big writing project that you know you want to get to 'someday?'

How often have you, like me, pushed pet projects into the background for lack of time or strong motivation or that 'just not ready' feeling?

I'm sure you've all seen that poster quote that says So many books, so little time. Serious readers can relate, and they are the ones that have bought the coffee mugs, shirts, and tote bags that feature the quote. What about one for writers that says So much to say, so little time? If you're a writer, you DO have a great deal to say in the form of the printed word. Maybe we all need to pick up the pace a bit.

Older writers know their time to accomplish all their goals is limited. Younger writers feel like they have all the time in the world. Hopefully, they do, but unexpected events can interfere at any moment.

I came home feeling like I needed to speed up my writing journey a bit. I don't mean for this post to be a downer. Most of you know I am a positive thinking person. My reason for writing about this today is to make us all work a little harder, a little longer so that we can achieve all that is possible in our writing life. It's not an admonition, but something to think about. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: Addressing Widowhood

Christina Hamlett has been a Guest Blogger here numerous times. An accomplished novelist, playwright, interviewer, former actress--the list ...