Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Building Confidence As A Writer


Yesterday, I wrote about the different jobs we have as writers. Thinking about that as I made our bed this morning, it came to me that, we have multiple tasks as writers, but we also have some needs. One of the biggest, in my opinion, is confidence. 

It's said glibly at times, but we all know you don't run down to your local Walmart and buy a jug of confidence. It's something each writer must acquire on his/her own. It doesn't come in one fell swoop either. We have to build confidence. As children, we used nursery-type blocks to build a tower. A toddler's chubby hand picks up one block at a time, places it on the little tower on the floor. The child learns that he/she must use care in putting the block on the others. If not, it comes tumbling down. 

That's how we gain our confidence, one little block at a time placed carefully upon the others. How do we acquire this wonderful trait? 

First, you need to have a positive attitude. If we write a story and then tear it down in our own mind, it's merely deflating. Write a story or essay or poem and give it a good look. Pick out the parts you like best. You might find yourself smiling or nodding your head when you see those delightful sections. They make you feel good, as if you've accomplished something. Do this with every new writing project and you'll soon see that you have something to be proud of. Attitude is a key part of building confidence.

Many writers keep a log of what they have written. To help raise your confidence level, you note something positive about what you wrote. Maybe that it sold on the first submission, or that your critique group had lots of good things to say. With each positive remark, you will feel a bit more confident in your ability to write.

Ever give yourself a lecture quietly and mentally? I have done this many times. If you're in a funk, dragging yourself down instead of building yourself up, give yourself a quiet lecture. I have also, on occasion, termed them 'verbal spankings.' Don't put yourself down. Remind yourself that to be successful, you need to give a boost instead. You can end with Shape up! 

Dwell on your successes, not your rejections. Most of us probably are heavier on the rejection side, but that's no reason to spend all your effort worrying about them. Assess those pieces you've written that you consider successes in some way. Figure out why they are in that list. What did you do when writing these pieces. Don't be shy about finding the good parts and being elated. Those good parts are the kind of things you'll want to repeat. 

As stated above, building your personal confidence is an ongoing process. I found that the more I wrote, the greater my confidence. As time progressed, I trusted myself more and I began to believe in myself as a writer. Like the bird in today's poster, I put my trust in myself. You can, too.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes, especially on a good day, I forget that others lack confidence in their writing. I've had a published author tell me that she they didn't consider herself an author. I've had a journalist who contributes a regular column in the newspaper, tell me he doesn't think of himself as a writer. Yes, confidence is a tough thing that comes and goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gaining confidence as a writer is no piece of cake. It often comes little by little, but I also think that the positive attitude helps a lot.

      Delete

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...