Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Writers--Each Day Is A Fresh Beginning



Today's quote works in our writing world as well as our everyday life. If we let them, our cares and woes as writers tend to build as the days go on. If we let them! We are in control even though we need to be reminded of that now and then.

Let's face it. None of us likes it when a story doesn't gel or we get rejections three times in one week. What if we submit a story for a critique and it comes back with red marks slashed in more places than ever before and the remarks from the person who did the critique are crushing blows? We hate that part of our writing life but it IS a part of the world we've chosen. 

We can let these negatives drag us down or we can push those broken pieces of yesterday out the door. Sweep them up in a neat little pile, then dispose of them. We can't forget about all of those problems. Some of them do have to be addressed but we can do that on another day.

Consider each day as a blank sheet of paper. We start fresh but we can begin by taking care of those troublesome things behind us, one at a time. It's not a matter of dragging the bad things along with you. Not at all. Each new day allows you to fix whatever was wrong and then start anew. 

In a perfect world, we'd be able to bandage every wound from our past writing but we know that is not going to happen. Even so, we can repair some of the old problems on a new day. We can also slam the door to yesterday behind us and walk through the portal of today and feel renewed. 

Some nights, when I go to bed, I lie there and think about what I did and did not accomplish that day. I nearly always fill both those columns. I find that the older I get, the more of those 'did not accomplish' things are added to my list. It doesn't mean they will never get done. I don't lose sleep over that part of the list. 

Instead, I know that the morning will come and I have an entirely new day to whittle that to-do list in my writing world. 

Treat each new day as a gift. It's yours to begin all over again. 



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...