Thursday, July 5, 2018

Resurrect Your Unfinished Writing Projects



Years ago, before I began writing, I did a lot of quilting and embroidering and other hand-sewing. I had several projects started at one time. I finished a good many but there were also ones that I left on a closet shelf or in a drawer only half-done. Why? There were probably a few reasons. Maybe I didn't like the way things were turning out. Or I didn't have the right thread and never got around to buying more. Or it proved too difficult. 

When we downsized almost three years ago, I found several partially done handwork projects. Two I kept and got rid of the rest. The ones I saved were special quilt tops that had never been made into a full quilt with batting and backing. One had been made by my mother and the other by my husband's mother. No, I could not get rid of either of them. 

Now, I don't do sewing of any kind, except maybe replace a button now and then. I find that I have several unfinished writing projects instead. They don't rest on a closet shelf or are nestled in a bureau drawer. They wait for my attention in my Documents file on my laptop. If computer files can gather dust, there are a few that must be coated mightily! I see the titles as I scan through the files occasionally but I usually slip right by. I might even grimace a bit.

Why weren't those pieces ever finished? Probably for many of the same reasons as the sewing pieces. I didn't like the way the first draft looked. It was too hard to figure out what was wrong and how to correct it. It was a dumb topic to begin with. The topic didn't inspire me. And maybe more reasons. 

It might be to our advantage--yes, yours and mine--to go through our files and pull up all the unfinished pieces of writing that have been waiting for our attention. Maybe it's a novel. How many writers start a novel and never finish? I fear the number might astound us. It could be a poem that never sounded right to us. Or it might be a personal essay that upset us emotionally enough that we never finished it. A memoir? A family story? An article on writing. 

Make a list and then add numbers for the order in which you will try again. Easiest or hardest? Your choice as to which will be the first--or last! 

After reading through the first one, ask yourself some questions:
  • What is the most positive thing about this?
  • What is the worst part?
  • What can I do to make this more interesting?
  • What is needed to hook the reader?
  • Is it worth saving?
  • Is the topic alright but poor mechanics detracting from it?
  • Do I like the topic?
  • Would I like to resurrect this piece of writing?
  • Should I delete the whole thing? 

It's possible that you find a hidden gem and get excited about giving it new life. The absolute reverse can also happen. After serious consideration, you might be ready to ditch it completely. That's alright. Not everything we write is going to be worth pursuing. I've written plenty of drivel and I bet most of you have at times, too. 

What is important is to take a look at the unfinished pieces of writing in your files. Then assess them and either save or ditch. Next, take one at a time and start working. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Writers--Take Your Time!

  One of the toughest lessons to learn when you first start writing is to take you time. You're eager. You're inspired. You're e...