Thursday, June 14, 2018

The Beginnings Of A Writer

The urge just keeps gnawing at you until you sit down and just write. A thought, a poem, a song, maybe a whole book if the urge is strong enough. Writing takes away the longing but only for awhile, then we must write again.
From laughloveliveitall.wordpress


Yes, 'real writers' have a constant itch to be writing something. Even when they experience writer's block, that itch is there. The problem then is that they can't seem to be able to scratch it!

Do you remember when you first wanted to write or when you took step one to becoming a writer?
For some of you, those days were a very long time ago but others may be in initial days of their writing journey here and now.

Do we get hit like lightning with a thought that we should try writing? Does the desire to write come on gradually? Do we act on our first thoughts about writing? Or do we wait an interminably long time before taking step one? I imagine there would be yes answers to each of those questions if we polled a group of writers. 

I wanted to become a writer for many years before I actually tried. When I had to deal with a double tragedy in my early married life, one of my first thoughts was that I needed to write about the experience to help others. That's as far as it went--a thought. It took 30 more years of living for me to be able to write about that time in my life. Maybe that's alright. Who knows for sure? Perhaps I wasn't ready to share until all those years had passed. 

I do know that I could have (should have) started my writing journey much sooner than I did. Even though the desire to write burned within, I made excuses for not acting on my feelings. I couldn't be a writer while raising children or doing lots of volunteer work in our community. There was not enough time, or so I told myself. That was a pretty poor reason since there are many writers who hold down full-time jobs and run a household but still find time to put words on paper. Obviously, their passion is greater than mine was. 

I also know now that the excuses we make for not having time to write or a life where writing doesn't fit are exactly that--excuses! It's a big part of that self-doubt problem many of us have, especially in the early days of being a writer. Fear is a monster that seems to grow if we cower in the corner instead of facing it head-on. The longer we wait, the bigger he becomes.

Do I wish I'd started to write earlier than I did? Absolutely! My writing path has never been one that leads to supporting myself with writing. I am a hobbyist writer who has also had the great joy of being published many times. Besides that, the old teacher in me wanted to start a blog about writing to help other writers with tips and encouragement. It's why this blog was birthed and why I continue with it. 

How about you?
  •  When did you begin writing?
  •  How long did you wait from the time you wanted to write until you actually did it? 
  • What kept you from starting sooner? 
  • If you had it to do over again, would you follow the same path or a different one?
  • What advice would you give someone who expresses the desire to write?
  • Do you depend on writing income?
  • Are you a hobbyist writer or a professional?
I do know one thing. I have no regrets in putting my foot on the path to the writing world, even if it was later than I wanted it to happen. The passion-for-writing embers grew into full flame once I put words together to create a piece of writing. I can now say I am a real writer who, like today's poster says, has to write.





1 comment:

  1. Thursday 14 June 2018

    Happy Flag Day in America, Julien Kopp.

    I may have never had that itch to write since I grew up and evolved as an Engineering type. Electrical and Electronics. My Mechanical Engineering skills were never great.

    My first experiences in the field of writing had to be in High School and College. In between, I had lived four years as a U.S. Airman, training and working as an enlisted technician. As a technician in the U.S. Military, I learned many working skills in my field of Avionics. It went well.

    After I exited the Air Force on December of 1981, I began College at Kent State University just a few weeks later, in the spring semester of 1982. Except for my -ologies as electives, it was all a review, with minor challenges.

    After 2 full semesters at KSU, in late January of 1983, I was a passenger in a single car crash on a country road near Dover city park, in Tuscarawas County, Ohio. Fairly close to my parents home, where I stayed at that time, and closer to the college. That car wreck and my recovery would be the impetus for my writing efforts – a severe traumatic brain injury with all the everlasting effects, and a few that may have been temporary. Or, at least I have overcome some rather severe physical disturbances.

    I've never gotten that project going, even if I did start and maintain a ledger of some events from about 10 years after the incident. There were so many other difficulties. It is hard to find a co-author or writer who has any experience with TBI's. I may have found one, but his experiences with his sister's TBI may be so very different from my own personal problems. This happened to me when I was 24 years old. I have gotten older.

    Many of my memories have been taken away since the incident. As a part of my TBI and ancillary problems. Dustin seems to be my best choice, but I don't have the money he desires to be freely available.

    Thank you,
    Jim Verhovec - still in Ohio

    ReplyDelete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...