Thursday, March 8, 2018

Pros and Cons of Entering Writing Contests

Image result for free banner for contest



Writers are often urged to enter contests. Somebody has to win so why not you? Take a chance along with a thousand or more other writers. What are the odds you'll win? Should you try? Or not? 

There are things to consider when you enter your work in a writing contest. Here are just a few:
  • If  I enter my story in the contest that will not announce winners for 6 months, then I cannot submit it for publication. Do I want to tie up my work for that long?
  • How do I know the type of writers that enter this contest? Can I actuall compete with them?
  • Is there a fee to enter?
  • How much is the fee? Is it exorbitant? 
  • If I enter 5 contests and pay an entry fee for each but win nothing, where am I? 
  • Do I know if the contest is legit?
  • Have I checked for validity of the group behind the contest?
  • Does the contest pay winners? Or just publish the winning entries?
  • If they only publish, not pay, winners, why am I paying a fee to enter?
  • How high a fee should I  be willing to pay? 
  • How many contests per year should I enter? The free ones? The ones with entry fees?
  • Should I enter smaller contests first and progress to the bigger ones? 
  • Should I skip the small potatoes contests and aim for the big one with the big prizes? 
/There are also good reasons to enter your work in a contest. Consider these:
  • If I place, it's a good thing to be able to tell an editor later when I submit the same story for publication
  • It's good practice for submitting to editors later
  • You might actually win first, second, third or an Honorable Mention
  •  Enter the no fee contests and you have lost nothing, but they usually have lower amounts for prizes. 
  • You can't win if you don't enter
  • Winning a writing contest looks mighty nice in your bio
  • It's fun to take a chance and see how your work stands up to others (We sometimes forget that writing should have some fun in it)
As for no-fee or fee to enter, that is something each person needs to determine. I have entered both types of contests, have placed in some, and got nothing in many. If you do enter your work in a contest, be sure to read the guidelines and know for sure that your piece fits. Best of luck to all who give it a whirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...