Thursday, December 28, 2017

The Biggest Benefit Of Freewriting Exercises



Too many writers thumb their noses at writing exercises. I want to write. I don't want to do exercises. That's the thinking of many.  But guess what? These writing exercises can only help you become a better writer. 

The one I especially like is the freewriting exercise. 

What is the freewriting exercise?  Find a word (more on that later). Set a timer for 10 minutes. Type the word. Then let your fingers go as fast as possible with whatever the word brings to mind. Keep typing the full ten minutes. Don't stop to read over what you've written, don't stop to correct a word or punctuation, don't stop until the timer goes off. 

It doesn't matter if all that you have written is coherent or not. Some of it will be. And sometimes the entire thing is perfectly put together. The word you selected will trigger your innermost thoughts if you keep writing and let them come from the recesses of your mind. 

How do I select the word?  Open any book--dictionary, a novel or a book of poetry--close your eyes and point. Wherever your finger lands is the word you use for your exercise. Don't keep repeating until you find a word you think you like. Use the first one. It's always interesting to see what comes from a word like rapid or blinking. 

In my online writing group, one person selects the word for the week and sends it to the other members. Then, those who choose to do the exercise, send the result to the entire group. It is always interesting to see the many different angles taken on the same word. 

Does what I write have to be real or can it be fiction? You can go either way. One woman I know often takes the word and twists it into the name of a fictional person, then she writes the full ten minutes about that person, creating a story as she goes. Remember that she does not stop and think, just lets the words come for the full ten minutes. Some will be gibberish but some will create a story. You can also write about your feelings about whatever the word brings to mind. There is no set pattern.

What is the biggest benefit of freewriting?  The biggest benefit is allowing those things locked away in your mind to emerge. Maybe there's a topic you've tried to write about but get stuck every time. Your outer self doesn't want to let the inner self out of hiding. Why? There's a bit of fear involved. That wondering if I should expose my innermost self to others. But that's what good writers do. Readers look for writers who can express emotion and tell a story that will touch the reader. We can't do that if we put restraints on ourselves. Practicing freewriting helps unleash the writer within.

How often should I do a freewriting exercise?  That's up to the writer but, like most things, the more often you do it the bigger the benefit. Why not use that 10 minute exercise as the start to your writing session each day, or whenever you make time to write? Let it be your springboard. 

My observation of my group's freewriting exercises.  I have seen some profound statements within those exercises of my fellow writers. I've seen the bones of an essay or short story to be fleshed out later. I have had a chance to look into the heart and soul of the writers in my group. 

To give you a jumpstart, here's a list of words to use for a freewriting exercise, then try opening a book and pointing to find a word to use:
  • mule
  • bugle
  • sky
  • circus
  • blood



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I wish more people would do it on a regular basis. I am always surprised at what emerges in this exercise.

      Delete

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...