Friday, December 29, 2017

A Writer's Self-Check List



Today's poster is though provoking. Three lines that should make us sit back and ponder for a good while. 

Consider the many happenings in your life. Some were good, others heart-rending. Even so, both kinds allowed you to change and grow as a person. 

What about your writing life? It's the end of the year when we often take stock of all the good and bad things that occurred in our writing life. Many of them allowed for change and growth. Ask yourself these questions.
  • How many times did you submit your work in 2017? 
  • How many of those submissions were published? 
  • How much money did you make from writing this year? 
  • How many of the goals you set last January did you meet? 
  • What major writing project did you complete? 
  • How many times did you abandon a writing project? 
  • How many books about writing did you read?
  • How many conferences did you attend?
  • How many notes of encouragement did you receive from an editor?
  • How many critiques of your word did you get from others?
  • How many critiques did you give to fellow writers?
  • How often did you do a writing exercise?
  • How many books did you read in 2017?
  • How often did you feel discouraged about your writing?
  • How often did you feel inspired ti write like there was no tomorrow?
  • How carefully did you edit your work? 
  • Did you ever want to stop writing for good?
  • Who did you go to for help when you were discouraged?
  • How much research for a writing project did you do?
  • Did you keep good records of submissions?
  • Was 2017 a better writing year than 2016? Why or why not?
  • Do you still enjoy writing?
This is a long list but it will allow you to take a good look at your writing life. Perhaps you'll see the places you excelled and also areas that need improvement. The list can also be a help in setting your goals for 2018. 



4 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm printing this and keeping it by my calendar for 2018. Checking through this list on a monthly or weekly basis will help me keep on task this coming year.

    Thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome. I hope you'll share the post with your writer friends.

      Delete
  2. I followed you from Kathy Pooler's post because I'm curious about your writing life as a granny, which I am too. Happily, I was able to tic off several points on your writing list, including my memoir in progress, Mennonite in Shiny Red Shoes. Recently, I submitted a piece to Chicken Soup for the Soul but haven't heard back. I admire your persistence Nancy! And, yes, I still enjoy writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Marian. Thank you for your comment. If you're curious about my writing life, why not sign up for the blog to be sent to you and also as a Follower? I'd love to have you do so.

      Delete

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...