Thursday, February 9, 2017

A Different Kind of Writing Exercise

Painting by Julie Mehretu

Earlier today, one of my friends, who happens to be a poet, started a new kind of game on facebook. She assigned each of several people a noted artist. We were to find a painting by that person and repost. The idea is to instill some beauty into the posts that lately have been negative, angry and more. I googled my artist, one I had no knowledge of prior to today, and selected one of her paintings to post.

Later, I got to thinking that this abstract art might be an interesting photo prompt writing exercise. Usually, we have a scene of a place or someone in the scene to prompt our thoughts into being able to write a paragraph or more.

So, today, spend some time studying this painting, then freewrite whatever it brings to your mind. It could be prose or poetry--your choice. I think we might all be surprised what this painting might bring forth from the depths of our brain bank. Give it a try. Share in the comments section if you like.

Have fun with this one.

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the time I stood on Burnett's Mound at night, in the rain, watching the traffic on the interstate and how the tail lights "streamed" by! Very cool art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'm sure everyone sees something different in this painting.

      Delete

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...