Friday, October 10, 2014

A Chicken Soup for the Soul Deadline Coming Soon




Are you like me? You sometimes delay writing a story for many good reasons, then suddenly panic as the deadline to submit is drawing mighty close. Note that I said 'sometimes' so I'm not guilty of this all of the time. Yesterday, something triggered a memory that there was a Chicken Soup for the Soul book deadline for stories coming up. 

I went to the website and then clicked on Submit Your Story in the list at the bottom of the home page. Once on the next page, I clicked on Possible Book Topics where I found the one with the looming deadline. The book is Thanks To My Mom and the deadline to submit is October 20, 2014. Panic set in!

I've been mulling a story that would work for the book quite a long time. It's been swirling in my head but I hadn't tried to put it in print. Pushing all else aside yesterday afternoon, I wrote a first draft. I read it over again this morning, then sent it to my criique group to get an initial reaction. So far, one person has responded and her words were supportive enough that I knew I needed to continue working on this story. 

The book will have stories by sons and daughters who learned something from their individual mother. It's a time to show readers why you're grateful to your mom or stepmom. I've pasted the call for submissions for this book below. Please note that they don't want general tributes or biographies or eulogies. They seek specific anecdotes. Read the copy carefully to see if you have a story to tell that would fit this book. Then get busy on it as you have only ten more days. 

Yes, I know that I normally encourage writers to plan ahead and not get caught up in these last-minute events. I still think that's the best way to do it, but now and then, we all break our own rules. Ten days is enough time to get a story written. So how about it?

Thanks to My Mom 
We are collecting stories of thanks written by sons and daughters of all ages about their moms and stepmoms. Tell us what your mom has done for you and why you are grateful to her. Is she always right? Do you still turn to her for advice? Have you turned into your mother even though you vowed you never would? Share your best stories-ones that will make us laugh, cry, or nod our heads in recognition. We are not looking for general tributes (we know your mom is terrific) nor are we looking for biographies or eulogies. We are looking for specific anecdotes about what your mom or stepmom did for you-something you want to thank her for. The deadline for story and poem submissions is October 20, 2014.(from Chicken Soup for the Soul website)

No comments:

Post a Comment

No Fee, No Pay! Hmmm!

  H U H? I was skimming through a lengthy list of journals whose closing dates were looming. Many were published at universities, some were ...