Monday, December 9, 2013

Writers Have Choices



Look at that. How great is it that Santa is helping Mrs. Santa Claus decorate their tree? Pretty nice of the jolly old guy when he has a long list of other things to do this month.

Like so many of us, I have a list of things that must be done before the 25th. I check them off as I accomplish the tasks and attend or host social events. The list is dwindling but not as fast as I'd like it to. Meanwhile, there are several publishers to whom I'd like to submit some stories. There are new stories swirling in my head and I don't have as much time to work on them right now.

There's one story that won't stop calling out to me. I think I must make some time to work on this one now, not in January or February. I know that I'm capable of making time for the things I want to do. I might have to give up a party invitation or going to see a Christmas show or make fewer cookies this year, but I can do that.

The other day, I received a call for more stories for a Chicken Soup book. It was sent to writers who had stories in previous Chicken Soup books. Most likely, the editors did not get enough of the type of story they wanted for the book. It was definitely a call for help and the topic is an interesting one. The big problem is that the deadline is December 12th. That doesn't give time to write a first draft, let it sit awhile, then revise and/or rewrite before sending it in. That goes against all my principles of writing. Those of you who read this blog regularly know how I feel about rushing a story you write.

But in this situation, I'm going to have to do it if I want to be able to send the editors a possible story for their book. That old saying Rules are meant to be broken. may apply here. I wouldn't want to do it on a regular basis though.

If you have an urge to write but are swamped with other things to do right now, take a step back and look carefully at your agenda. What can you give up? What can you do without? Each one of us has to make the decision to create some writing time or scratch your writing totally this month and devote yourself to family and friends and celebrating your holidays to the fullest. There is no right or wrong. Do what feels right to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...