Monday, March 25, 2013

Slow and Steady Wins The Race



This poster made me spiral back 20 years to the beginning of my writing life. I had hopes of becoming a published writer but I knew that it doesn't happen overnight. It sometimes doesn't happen even over months or years. I figured out pretty quickly that patience and  perseverance were keywords in the writing world.
I also learned that success wasn't going to come unless I worked at it. Nope, standing still was going to get me nowhere in a hurry.

It's Ok to take some time to achieve your goal of being published. In fact, I think it's to your benefit. If it happens too fast, you probably won't appreciate it as much as you might otherwise. 

If you work at your goal on a slow and steady pace, your chances of reaching it are pretty good. It might take a year for one writer, 3 years for another and even longer for a third. But if they stand still, they'll never attain the goal. Do writers get discouraged while working at that slow and steady pace? Of course they do! It's only human to want things to happen in a hurry. 

The old fable about the tortoise and the hare is one to heed in your writing life. The rabbit sat down but the tortoise kept moving slowly toward his goal. We know who won the race. Find a picture of a turtle and put it near your workspace to remind you to keep plodding along in your writing world. 





me nowhere in a

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...