Friday, March 16, 2012

You Can Write A Travel Article


If you're a writer and have traveled anywhere, you can write a travel article. I've written several, some of which have been published. St. Patrick's Day, being tomorrow, brought to mind a wonderful trip to Ireland. While browsing in a gift shop, someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around, and there was my husband looking like a leprechaun. It was so surprising to see him in the green hat and beard that I laughed so hard, I had tears coming and no words. 

But that memorable moment was not what I wrote about. Instead, I chose to write about our visit to Blarney Castle. "Kissing The Blarney Stone" has been published more than once and also won a contest at womens' memoir website.  

I wrote a piece on the town in Germany where one of my husband's grandfather's grew up. "Grandpa's Town"  was published at Dave's Travel Corner. I'd entered it in one of his contests. It didn't win but was published in his ezine. 

The first story about Blarney Castle put a personal spin on a tourist attraction, while the one about Ken's grandfather's hometown was more of a personal essay with a travel angle.

There are many different approaches to travel articles. The personal essay travel piece has gotten more popular in recent years. And I think they are more fun to write. There is a place for the non-personal travel article, too. 

You don't need to give a day by day description of your trip. Select one part of the trip and enlarge upon it.  Let readers see a place through your eyes. Think about trips you've taken. I bet there are lots of things that would work in a travel article. Make it current. Make it personal. Make it fun.






2 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed both stories. The picture of hubs gave me a laugh, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't inform him that I'd posted his picture today. Maybe I'll just skip telling hiom! :)

    ReplyDelete

Writers Who Do, Not Just Think

There's an ocean of difference between people who think about writing and those who actually do it. Myriad numbers of people have a desi...