Tuesday, July 5, 2011

New Contest For Family Stories

 Would you like $500, $350, or even $150? Now that I have your attention, here's how you can earn it. I learned today of a new contest looking for family stories. And since I am always one to encourage the writing of family stories, I wanted to pass it on. There will be ten Honorable Mentions as well as the three cash prizes.

The Intergenerational Foundation is sponsoring the contest. They're seeking family stories--the kind that a grandparent might tell a child or perhaps a story you've heard from a grandparent, aunt or uncle. Stories from family history and even other cultures would fit.

Word count is 750 which is sometimes difficult, so the writing needs to be tight. Deadline is August, 15, 2011. The story must never have been published and be your original work. Check the guidelines for the full list. And while there, you might like to spend some time on this interesting website.

You may send one photograph or illustration with your story. I found this interesting and would suggest doing so, if at all possible. Seeing a person or people highlighted in your story would help bring it alive.

When entering a contest, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose, so give it a whirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Ken Goetz, Writer and Blogger

  Ken Goetz and his granddaughter I think you'll find today's post of interest. I've interviewed a fellow blogger whom I would l...