Friday, July 22, 2011

In The Soup Again

I've been fortunate to have had stories in several of the Chicken Soup for the Soul anthology books. The first acceptance thrilled me from head to toes. The story in the Father and Daughters book was Love In A Box, which has become one of my most published stories. It's a very simple story about how the fact that my dad loved me came out of the blue when I was in the second grade.  The story has been published in other languages and also won Honorable Mention in a contest at a memoir website. Click on the story title above to read it.

Encouraged by the first acceptance, I continued to submit to the Chicken Soup publishers and I had more stories accepted. Following their guidelines helped get my work into ten more of their anthologies. At about number eight, I mused to myself that I'd kind of like to have an even dozen. I also had plenty of stories submitted to Chicken Soup that didn't make it.

Yesterday, I received notice that a story I had in the final cut stage has been accepted for a new Chicken Soup book on Happiness, due out in mid-fall. That makes my even dozen! And you know what? I was just as thrilled as for the first one. I remember my obstetrician saying that every baby he delivered was a thrilling experience. I think I can relate to that, although somehow delivering stories is a wee bit easier than giving birth.

Do you think I am going to be completely satisfied with my twelve? Not at all. I achieved my goal, but nothing says I can't add more. I have several submitted already and a few more in my head still to be written for current books Chicken Soup is seeking stories for.

Here's a list of books for which stories are needed. Go to the Chicken Soup website for full info. Deadline dates are all 2011

1. Boost Your Brainpower  8/7

2. Family Caregiver  7/30

3. Home Sweet Home  8/30

4. Say Goodbye to Back Pain  7/31

5. Say Goodbye To Stress  8/30

6. Say Hello To A Better Body 8/7

7. Think Positive for Great Health 8/15

8. Think Positive for Kids  12/31

9. Tough Times for Teens 7/31

No comments:

Post a Comment

Loyalty Seems to Be Missing Lately

 All the things I read in the newspapers and hear on tv lately are disturbing. One more thing that bothers me is that there doesn't seem...