Saturday, October 17, 2009

Procrastination

I feel like I'm working on a Master's Degree in Procrastination lately. I've always been a Get-It-Done-Now kind of person, so this is out of character for me, and it doesn't feel good. I don't like it one bit, but I don't seem to be doing a whole lot to change it either. Maybe putting things off becomes easier the longer you do it.

My mother taught me when I was still a child to get your work done, and then the time left is your own. Being the oldest of four children, and only girl, I started helping with housework and cooking at a very young age. I learned very quickly that the sooner I got my chores done, the faster I could get outside with my friends or have time to read a book. It became a habit.

If I had homework, I did it as soon as I got home. All done. No worries. If someone asked me to do them a favor, I did it right away. If there was a letter to be written, I did it sooner rather than later. As a result, I became known as a very organized person, have even been teased about it by friends.

I've got stories galore swimming in my mind, but for some reason, I can't seem to sit down and write them. Some are for deadlines on anthology books. If I wait too long to write the story, it will be rushed, little time to revise before sending it in. And what will be the result? It more than likely will never see publication. And whose fault is it? Yep, just me.

Maybe I've reached a point in life that I choose to do the things I want to do and it leaves less time for the things that should be done. Not that I don't want to write the stories. I do. But maybe I want to do too many other satisfying things, as well. Even so, there are household chores that are necessities, and I can still hear my mother's instruction loud and clear, so I keep up with the important things.

The next step is to figure out a better balance in my life so that I can get the important things accomplished and still have time for the ones I enjoy doing. Like wriitng a new story. There's one swirling in my brain right now, so I think it's time to let it happen.

I wouldn't wish being a procrastinator on anyone, especially if there is a little guilt involved with it. Ah, maybe that's the secret--become a procrastinator who has no guilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writers Who Do, Not Just Think

There's an ocean of difference between people who think about writing and those who actually do it. Myriad numbers of people have a desi...