Thursday, October 15, 2009

Happy Birthday



A little bit of my personal world for this posting.

Today is our youngest granddaughter's sixth birthday. The picture above is one taken at her daycare facility last winter. Every year, a photographer brings dress-up clothes for the kids to put on and have pictures taken. Somethng diffeent every year. The pictures turn out great as the kids are thrilled to wear the various outfits.

Six years ago today, Jordan looked a little different than she does here. Her mommy called us in the wee hours of the morning, and I do mean 'wee'. Seems to me it was around 3 a.m.. She wanted to let us know she and Steve were on the way to the hospital for the birth of their first child. Knowing the event wasn't going to be happening in moments, I didn;t get back to sleep but waited until around 6:30, then got ready and headed to Kansas City. Ken had a meeting that morning he needed to attend, so he would come in as soon as he finished.

When I reached the hospital, I went to Karen's room to let her know I was there, then went out to the waiting room. The other grandmother joined me in a matter of minutes, and we spent our time talking about anything and everything, our minds on what was happening down the hall. Steve kept us informed as he headed to the snack room for dads to grab another rice krispie bar. His sugar count must have skyrocketed that day!  The longer it went on, the more coffee I drank, the more nervous I became. And where was Ken? Why wasn't he walking off the elevator?

Shortly before  noon, two of Karen's close friends showed up. Christie and Barb sat with us until they had to leave to go back to work. Ken still wasn't there, and since he refused to carry a cellphone, I couldn't check on him.

About 12:30, Steve strolled casually into the waiting room, looked at the two grandmas sitting on the sofa, and said, "Do you want to see a picture of her, or the real thing?" With squeals of excitement, we both jumped up and down the hall we went at a fast pace. Neither grandfather there to greet this new life. Ken, who knows where? And Tony away on a business trip.

A hug and a kiss for Karen first. The poor girl looked totally exhausted after many hours of labor. And then, I met Jordan Elizabeth. She stole my heart at first glance, and she's had a piece of it ever since.

Ken showed up half an hour later to meet this beautiful little girl. That night I asked him what took him so long to get there, he said he wanted to make sure it was all over by the time he arrived. Coward! Turns out he didn't like the thought of seeing his own little girl going through labor and delivery. Not that he would have been in the room, but just being too close was not for him. He certainly did enjoy holding Jordan once she was passed around to both grandmas. And Grandpa Tony arrived that evening for his turn to meet and hold this precious gift.

And now, we will all join Jordan and her parents and little brother on Sunday to celebrate these six years she's been part of both families. She'll have cake and balloons, cards and gifts and a lot of love from all of us.

Happy Birthday Jordan!

2 comments:

  1. Nancy, you have just been awarded the Honest Scrap Award. Please go here to see :-)

    http://lgurney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy,
    I linked to your blog from Lisa's, being a co-recipient with you of the Honest Scrap Award. I love your story of the birth of Jordan. I could feel the excitement of that day for you. What a thrill to become a grandparent. I'm not quite there yet as my three kids are grown but none married yet. (I know that isn't a requirement in this day and age, but I expect my kids will be traditional when it comes to having children.) Anyway, I'll be back to visit your blog and read more "Grannystories"!

    ReplyDelete

Writers Who Do, Not Just Think

There's an ocean of difference between people who think about writing and those who actually do it. Myriad numbers of people have a desi...